General Anaesthesia occurs when a combination of drugs is given resulting in a deep sleep. It causes a loss of sensation and makes you unaware of what is happening around you.
Below are links to frequently asked questions concerning anaesthesia. Please read the information and if you have any questions or concerns discuss them with your anaesthetist. Sometimes it’s a good idea to write down any questions that you might have. That way you don’t forget them when you do meet your anaesthetist.
- What is an Anaesthetist?
- When do I meet my anaesthetist and what information do they need?
- How long before the operation do I stop eating and drinking?
- What do I do with my normal medication?
- What are the side effects and complications of anaesthesia?
- What can I do after the anaesthetic?
- How is pain controlled after the anaesthetic?
- How do I pay my bill?